Saturday, May 19, 2007

Printing-Geek
One of the problems that I've run into already with Ubuntu is printing. I think if I had a locally attached printer, it would be simple plug-and-play (or close to it). But I've got to complicate things by having a networked printer.
I'm using a Brother MFC-420CN printer. Not only that, but it's a multi-function device and I'd like to be able to scan too. Picky, huh?
Anyway, after a lot of head scratching and trying to follow the instructions at the Brother web site, I found this help page.
There are some bits that only apply to the older versions of Ubuntu, but it's pretty easy to figure out which ones, and follow the instructions that apply to Feisty Fawn.
Once I followed these instructions, I was able to print and scan without a problem!

1 comment:

Josh said...

Files needed:
cupswrappermfc420cn_1.0.0-1_i386.deb
mfc420cnlpr-1.0.2-1.i386.deb
brmfc420cn_cups.ppd

Commands to execute:
~$ sudo mkdir /var/spool/lpd
~$ sudo mkdir /usr/share/cups/model
~$ sudo cp brmfc420cn_cups.ppd /usr/share/cups/model/
~$ sudo apt-get install csh a2ps gs-esp cupsys cupsys-bsd
~$ sudo dpkg -i --force-all mfc420cnlpr-1.0.2-1.i386.deb
~$ sudo dpkg -i --force-all cupswrappermfc420cn_1.0.0-1_i386.deb