Thursday, May 29, 2008

Bicycle Tire-Geek
I finally needed new tires for my commuter bike. My Trek 1200c has been on the original tires for about 4000 miles over the last 3 1/2 years, and the tread was starting to come off in chunks. I've never had a flat with these tires, so I have absolutely nothing to complain about.
As I started looking for new tires, I asked around and went to roadbikereview.com to see what other people were having success with and what tires I should avoid.
  • The Michelin Krylion Carbon tires were highly rated, and I could order them on-line for a good price.
  • The Specialized All Condition Armadillo Tire only had one review, but was highly recommended. I also have a friend that has these on his bike and is very happy, and he said that one of our LBSs might have them in stock.
  • The Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase is what came on my bike, and I have been happy, and my favorite LBS did have them in stock.
One thing that surprised me when reading the reviews was that people were talking about switching to tires like the Krylion and saying that they went from frequent flats to only a few flats. I'm really spoiled I guess that I've never had a flat. That got me thinking that maybe I should stick with what I've had such good experience with.

I was going to switch to the Specialized tires, but the local store didn't have them in stock after all, and I didn't want to risk riding on the old tires any longer, so I went with the Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase.

At the same time, I switched from the 700x28 size and went down to a 23. The narower tire should help me get to and from work a little quicker, but might be a little less comfortable. We'll have to see if that's the case.

No comments: